Heart-healthy Beet Kvass. Promotes regularity helps digestion, alkalizes the blood, and cleanses the liver.
The Benefits of Beet Kvass
We love fermented foods and are pretty much addicted to their benefits. Being over 50 our health is a top priority. We enjoy being an active as well as having our fun on the weekends. Buying healthy drinks can be pretty costly. We are talking $4.00 to $5.00 a drink. Now drink that drink 5 days a week, it sure does add up. Fermented drinks and or food are so easy to make. All you need is a bit of water, sea salt and a vessel to house the food in.
- Beets contain glutathione, the prime detox agent in the liver that works to rid the body of toxins that can cause many serious health problems, including colon cancer.
- Beets help reduce inflammation. They contain a nutrient called betaine, this helps protect cells as well as enzymes and proteins from oxidative stress caused by the environment. This helps keep inflammation at bay and also helps protect the vascular system.
- Nutrients and Fiber- Beets are high in immune-boosting vitamin C, fiber, and essential minerals like potassium (essential for healthy nerve and muscle function) and manganese (which is good for your bones, liver, kidneys, and pancreas).
- Beets contain B vitamins, including a high amount of folates, which protect against heart disease,
- 3 medium organic beets
- ¼ cup juice from probiotic pickles or a fermented vegetable
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- Filtered water
- 2 quart Mason Jars
Peel and wash your beets. Organic you do not need to peel.
Chop beets into medium size pieces.
Place beets in bottom of your jars. 1/2 into one jar, 1/2 into another, or all into a half gallon.
Add your pickle juice and salt and dissolve.
Fill jar with your water.
Cover with a coffee filter and secure with a rubber band.
Keep in a dark place for 2 days.
Place in your refrigerator.
Drink 4 ounces in the morning and 4 ounces before bed.
The best way to bring this healthy tonic into your body is by drinking a shot in the morning and a shot at night. You can also add this to homemade dressings or use in your morning smoothies.